Monday, April 16, 2018

August Rosenbaum - Rasa (TAMBOURHINOCEROS 2018)


Following the release of August Rosenbaum’s critically acclaimed album Vista (November 2017) the Danish pianist and composer is back with a new EP entitled Rasa. The EP consists of 6 pieces for solo piano that laid the foundation for the music on Vista. 

August elaborates: “The piano is my starting point for everything when I make music, it has been my natural expression since I started playing at 6 years old, and it is how I hear, feel and create harmonies, chords and melodies. When making Vista with Robin (Hannibal), it became a dogma that underneath all the layers of detail, production and arrangement, there had to be a strong “core”, a composition that could carry the emotion and intent when scraped down to only being played on the piano. 

Rasa was recorded by August in an intense 3-hour long recording in L.A: “We had just finished a full week of tracking band recordings for VISTA in a small studio in Eagle Rock, Los Angeles. So the room was filled with all the music and effort Robin, I, the musicians and our engineer had put in - and at the same time it felt like we had given all we had in us. But I remember it made me so happy and thankful to have made it this far, so I asked the engineer to open the mics on the piano and let the tape roll. I ended up playing non stop for 3 hours, while the others sat in the room just listening. It was really intense and intimate at the same time”, August explains.


1. Angelo (Solo Piano) 03:10
2. Belmondo (Solo Piano) 03:22
3. Nomad (Solo Piano) 02:28
4. Calling Out (Solo Piano) 03:10
5. Skin (Solo Piano) 03:43
6. Milo (Solo Piano) 04:40